E-hailing services are convenient, reliable, comfortable and cost-effective. But, they are also controversial, with ongoing violence levelled at the popular services that enable users to make use of mobile apps to order taxis.
Because these e-hailing services provide an alternative to the more traditional metered taxi and public transport services, there are unfortunately times when unsafe situations can arise. Make sure you know how to stay safe when using these services:
- Plan ahead. Before you request a ride, think about where you’re headed and review the safety features in the e-hailing service’s app so you know how to use them. **
- Request your ride in safe area. Avoid spending unnecessary time outside alone with your phone in your hand. Instead, wait indoors until the app shows your driver has arrived.
- Get in the right car. Before you get in the car, check that license plate, driver photo, and driver name all match what’s listed in the app.
- Be a backseat rider. If you’re riding alone, sit in the backseat. This ensures you can safely exit on either side of the vehicle to avoid moving traffic.
- Buckle up. Seatbelt use is the most effective way to save lives and reduce injuries related to car accidents.
- Share your trip details with a friend. While en route, share your status and location with a friend or family member. They can track your trip and see your ETA.
- Protect your personal information. There’s no need to share your phone number or other contact information with your driver.
- Follow your intuition. Trust your instincts and use your best judgement when using e-hailing services.
Download and use Namola. If you ever feel you’re in an emergency situation, request help through the Free Namola safety app.
Source: Adapted from https://www.uber.com/info/rider-safety-tips/
Link to published post: https://namola.com/latest-news/another-satisfied-user/